Winter Manali Carnival 2022
Venue: Manali, Himachal Pradesh, India
Start Date: January 02, 2022
End Date: January 06, 2022
Timing: 11 AM and 10 PM daily
- Cultural tableaus
- Voice of Carnival
- Folk dances
- Western dances
- Baby shows
- Magic shows
- Folk dances
- Western dances
- Local games
- Street plays
- Fashion shows
- Games for tourists
- Local cuisines
- Winter sports (Skiing, Snowboarding competitions etc.)
- Winter Queen beauty pageant
Himachal Pradesh started organizing the Winter Carnival in 1977 as a skiing competition in Solang and now after almost three decades the festival has become bigger and better!
Interestingly, the Winter Carnival was the brainchild of Harnam Singh, founder, Western Himalayan Mountaineering Institute, Manali. He felt that the Carnival might bring more people to winter sports, especially skiing. So, the Carnival started with skiing competitions on the Solang valley with active participation by professionals. Harnam Singh was pleasantly surprised at its popularity, so he looped cultural events by the local Manu Rang Shala. Thereafter, the festival grew till it became a national event, and is now a very popular venue for tourists and winter sports enthusiasts.
The dates for the Himachal Winter Carnival 2022 have been fixed as 2nd Jan to 6th Jan.
What happens in the Manali Winter Carnival?
The highlights of the Carnival are the Carnival Parade, Voice of Winter Carnival and Winter Queen contests, the folk, Bollywood and classical dance competitions, region-wise talent shows and street plays that attract crowds. Like all festivals, yummy street food and local food stalls entice visitors, local handicrafts and textiles are up on sale, and many holidayers from cities go on a winter clothes shopping binge. This year is extra-special, since the Carnival was cancelled in 2021 due to COVID19.
How to Get There?
- By Air: The nearest airport, Bhuntar Airport (IATA code KUU), is at Bhuntar town, situated on NH21 about 50 km from Manali. The airport is also known as Kullu-Manali airport.
- By Road: Manali can be reached from Delhi by national highway NH 1 till Chandigarh and from there by national highway NH 21. The total distance from Delhi to Manali is 533 km. Buses ply in large numbers on this route.
- By Rail: The nearest broad-gauge railheads from Manali are at Chandigarh (275 km), Pathankot (325 km) and Kalka (310 km). The nearest narrow-gauge railhead is at Joginder Nagar (135 kilometers).
Major Highlights of the Manali Winter Carnival Festival 2022
- Manali Winter Carnival 2022 (2 Jan to 6 Jan) will be celebrated for five days in Winter. It will showcase the cultural heritage of Himachal Pradesh.
- Colorful and fun filled programs like Carnival Parade, Winter Queen contests, Voice of Winter Carnival, talent shows, street plays, classical and Bollywood dance contests will make the amazing Winter Carnival of Manali memorable for the tourists.
- For shopaholics, there will be a sale for textiles and local handicrafts products and the local cuisines of Himachal in the carnival will definitely tickle your taste buds. District based delicacies would be available.
- If you love adventures then there is a very good opportunity to take part in Skiing, and snowboarding, ice skating, paragliding, rafting etc. will be organized in a very planned manner, keeping in mind all the safety measures. Many indoor and outdoor games would also be organized to add delight to the carnival.
- Each day of carnival would have a different theme and theme-based activities would be organized to make the Carnival more interesting.
- The aim of Manali Winter Carnival is to showcase the heritage of Himachal Pradesh. In order to inform tourists about the traditions of Himachal, troupes of women will be wearing traditional clothes to the carnival. The local Pattu and Shawls will get a good boost.
- The state government has also planned to plant 5000 saplings in the area to extend greenery.
- Group cleanliness campaigns will happen before and after the event and it will be 100%plastic free.
Participating in the Carnival
The minimum age for participation is 16 years and the maximum age for participation is 35 years. The competitions of Winter Carnival Manali are open to schools, youth clubs, organizations of India and Colleges. Each team has to pay for participating and so are the individuals. The participation fee for the individuals is less than that of the teams. The charges of individuals are Rs. 500 while for the teams it is Rs. 1500.
The participants have to get the prospectus in person or by mail, fill it up and along with the participation fee must be sent to the organizers. Each team must participate in minimum 6 events. All teams must participate in the Carnival Parade and the Folk Dance event. Entries are allowed on the basis of first come first serve.
Food and Lodging near the Carnival
Participants are provided with food coupons so that they can have food from the hotels or dhabas that are recognized by the carnival organizers. Lodging of the participants is arranged in different rest houses, hotels and guest houses. Participants have to share the rooms while team in-charges are given separate rooms. The teams arriving at Manali for the carnival have to get in touch with the Central Control Room of Tourism Development Office of the District, Ram Bagh near the Mall so that proper allotment of staying places can be done.
Contact person for the carnival
Phone No.: 01902252351 / 01902252363